Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rules of the Road

John 13:35By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Recently I stopped in traffic behind a large truck. A sign prominently displayed on the truck's rear door asked the public to call a certain number if the truck driver was not obeying the rules of safe driving. Trucking companies displaying such signs surely have confidence in their drivers and in their training.

I began to wonder how my behavior would change if Christians were required to wear a sign identifying us as Christians and requesting that our bad behavior be reported. Would I be less likely to show frustration because of poor service? Would I be more patient while waiting in line at the bank or sitting in the doctor's office? Would I forgive more easily when others made comments that hurt my feelings? Perhaps I would offer to help a person in need more readily if I were wearing a sign that declares my faith.

All of us are challenged to follow God's direction in our day-to-day interactions. Whether or not our behavior is noticed by anyone, we are always accountable to God.

1 Peter 3:8-9 “Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment